...the dawning of a new day in Nashville...

...the dawning of a new day in Nashville...

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Racing Thunder

Nick's T W A, Stories

Racing Thunderstorms

I was a DC-9 Captain flying out of St. Louis Lambert field. On this particular day our first takeoff was at 0700 (7:00 AM) bound for Little Rock with a crew of 5 (2 pilots and 3 Flight Attendants) and 66 passengers about 20 short of a full load. It was a beautiful morning in early Spring.....crisp, fresh morning air...a bit on the chilly side....but nice. There was a front approaching from the West forecast to pass St. Louis in the late afternoon. But no problem this morning all was clear "CAVU to the moon" (Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited) was pilot speak for a great day for aviating.

I flew this first leg which was somewhat customary. The First Officer would fly the next the return to St. Louis..

All was routine in and out of Little Rock. We were on time and flying with only a few empty seats. Once back in St. Louis my First Officer Bob and I went down to get the paper work for the trip (leg) to Madison, Wisconsin. The cold front was approaching St. Louis and I figured we would get airborne before it hit, if we didn't have a ground delay or a mechanical problem. The front was half way between Kansas City and St. Louis, about 100 miles to the West and moving about 50 miles per hour. Best guess it would be over STL or just past on our return trip from Madison. This being the case I told the Bob he could fly us to Madison and I would fly the leg back to Lambert field.

So off we go to Madison and boy it was a bit bumpy. We finally found a smooth altitude at 21,000 feet and closer in to Madison we went on down to 17,000 feet to find still air....only occasionally a bump or two.

On landing in Madison while taxing in to the gate I told the Bob to tell load control we wanted to top off to load which meant put on all the fuel possible that would keep us within takeoff and landing weight limits, in other words, "filler up". I was anticipating a hold of at least 45 minutes enroute to St. Louis and felt I needed all the fuel I could get. Fuel is brains as they say.

It was a quick turn and as we hadn't eaten much all day I sent the “A” flight attendant Patsy to buy a large pizza with the all the toppings.......so all of us could get the blood sugar back up. In a short time she was back and took the pizza into the first class galley and divided it up. About that time the gate agent announced he had almost a full load and wanted to start loading early. "What the…….Hey, bring'em on", was my reply as I wolfed down a slice.

So as the passengers were boarding, a lot of business men returning home to St. Louis.....all tired and bleary eyed but in good spirits. As they entered the aircraft they caught the aromatic scent of pizza and naturally assumed we were serving pizza instead of peanuts. The flight attendants had to do a lot of explaining as they took drink orders.

The agent came in a bit flustered and excited about not getting an on time departure. I said I don't have the fuel slip yet and we would go as soon as I had my copy. About that time the ramp mechanic came in with the fuel slip which showed only release fuel as ordered by dispatch. I confirmed with the F/O that we had radioed in our top off fuel request on landing. The gate agent was about to say they hadn't received it but since I was giving him the evil eye he swallowed hard and explained they had forgot to tell the fuel truck and the truck was gone. Departure time was here and it was the getting home leg so against my better judgment I acquiesced and said we would go with only release fuel just enough to get to destination with a half hour hold and fuel to our alternate Louisville, Kentucky.

So up, up and away and off toward Chicago and then on down to St. Louis. At cruise altitude the air was a bit bumpy, one of those rides where you get smooth air for one or two minutes and then bumps like you were going over railroad tracks. The flight attendants had been told to expedite the service and be ready to buckle up as we headed into St. Louis. "Ding Ding"....Captain the service is done" Patsy reported. "Way to go"' I shot back, "What did you do throw the drinks at 'em.....just kidding". "Great job now buckle up and we'll be home in 35 Minutes."

We had passed just to the southwest of O'Hare and were coming over Springfield Ill. Listening to the ATIS (Air Traffic Information System) for St. Louis Lambert field we discovered that there was a hold on departures and arrivals. Bob got the weather at our alternate Louisville and found it was "stinko". And as we might have expected Air Traffic Control called and gave us a clearance to route to a point 75 miles south of St. Louis and to hold with an expect further clearance in an hour. "Oh no", I said to the F/O "can't do that". Call dispatch and ask them where they want us since Louisville was below limits. There was a long pause as dispatch was trying to figure out where we should go.

The front was just crossing the St. Louis metropolitan area, and it was moving fast. There were thunderstorms in all quadrants plus tornadoes had been reported in southern Illinois just where we were. About that time the skies parted and I could see the airport at Springfield, Illinois 25,000 feet below us. I told ATC we wanted to change our destination and requested clearance directly to the airport at Springfield and since we could see the airport, a descent to a lower altitude and, oh yes, I would appreciate expediting my request. I told Bob to tell dispatch we were going to Springfield.

As ATC (Air Traffic Control) was fully aware of the extremely bad weather conditions they immediately gave us a vector to the outer marker for the north-south runway and a clearance to ten thousand feet. I made an announcement to the passengers about the plan and that we were diverting to Springfield since St. Louis was closed due to thunderstorms. I turned on the seat belt sign and rang Sally and told her to secure the galleys and prepare the cabin for landing now since it's going to be bumpy from here on into the airport.

Trying to be as smooth as possible I pushed the nose over and began a dive to ten thousand feet. I could still see the ground although the skies around us were full of ominous looking black clouds. Our radar was working well, thank God, so I could see that the headings the controllers were giving me were between thunderstorm cells.

Reaching 10,000 feet I began to slow to 250 knots and requested a lower altitude and a vector to the airport. It appeared that the field ceiling was above three thousand feet and our radar showed thunderstorm cells all around us. The controller cleared me to twenty-one hundred feet with a heading toward the outer marker for runway 18. At 250 knots I kept on going to 2100 feet. At altitude and about 10 miles from the field I could see the field and could also see that there was a cell about 10 miles southwest and racing toward the field. I was intercepting the localizer for the runway and about 7 miles from the runway. The controller cleared me to tower control. As soon as I spoke to tower control he told me about the cell southwest which was approaching the airport. I "rogered" that and the race was now on. I pulled back the throttles extended the speed brakes and slowing to 210 knots told Bob to lower the landing gear. Now on approach and still slowing the flaps were extended as speed allowed. And at about 500 feet we were in stabilized flight and lined up with the runway. As the DC-9 crossed the runway threshold we were 130 knots on speed. lined up and cleared to land. Bob reported "Final check list complete" and we touched down on speed on a runway covered with water. Full reverse thrust was applied and the DC-9 slowed as I firmly applied the brakes with the clicking of the anti-kid faintly heard in the background as the brakes released and reapplied to prevent skidding. The plane handled like a charm even on a very wet runway.
I mentioned to Bob that we had won the race as the thunderstorm cell was now upon us and we were safe on the ground.

We were told to park out on the ramp and they wanted to know what were my intentions. I said I would come in and check the weather and make a decision then. I parked on the ramp and with the APU Auxiliary Power Unit) running we shut down the engines and breathed a sigh of relief. This afternoon it was great to be on the ground as the angry skies around us roared, through lightning bolts to the north and the south and torrents of rain coming down. About that time a ramp vehicle came out to pick me up. I left Bob in charge and headed for the cockpit door. As I entered first class there was light applause and some muffled cheers. They too were happy to be on the ground in this terrible weather. I picked up the PA, told them I was going in to check the weather and that we would proceed on to St. Louis when the front had passed. They all understood and were especially happy when I told the folks that the drinks were on the house.

So I checked the weather and the front had gone by us and Lambert field.. I filed a the flight plan to St. Louis and we were soon on our way. Bob flew us back home. It was his leg.

Moral to the story. Stick to your well thought out plan and don't let "get home-itus" affect your decision making. If you need more fuel get it even if it means no on time departure. Capt. Nick Nicholson, TWA Ret.

No comments:

Post a Comment